Wednesday, April 22, 2009

The Kindness of Strangers

I've been walking with a cane more lately. I don't think my legs are that much worse than they were the year before but I kind of like having the support. Even though I'm wearing leg braces and walking with a cane. The way I see myself is not as a cripple so it's always strange for me when someone opens a door for me and my first thought is "that person is really nice." then... "oh, they see my cane".

So, what is the difference between just being nice and pitying someone? If I see someone that needs help, I help them, without question. Unless that help is something that is beyond me. Obviously I'm not superman and I'm not trying to build myself up as some kind of nice guy. But, the question that is bothering me is... do I look like I need help? Am I that pitiful that people think that I can't easily open a door for myself? That's not what motivates me to open the door for women and older people. I was just raised to treat women and the elderly with respect and that somehow involves removing rectangular obstacles that get in their way. I'm not sure why that has anything to do with being a gentleman. But, it's so ingrained at this point it would be like starting to eat soup with a hammer instead of a spoon.

Is it something like that? Just something ingrained into our society to open the doors for people walking with a limp? Or am I just so very pathetic? I'm not preoccupied with this but it would be nice to know what motivates the actions of people around me.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's a kind of overwhelming love in my spirit I feel when I open a door for any one. The kind that results when you know you have served someone else and made their day easier. I go to the laundry mat a lot and always jump up to get the door for people carrying in laundry. I feel a love for them when I do...so in that respect it is something I do for myself as well. Judy...the lady you did then interview for the back in the day.

4:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home